Thursday, May 26, 2011

Learning Styles Assignment 2.2

My opinion on learning styles is that teachers and students need to be open to different types of learning styles.  I feel that both need to work together in order to produce a successful class.  Teachers are all different, just as students are different.  In my opinion we as instructors need to mix things up with the education and the learning process.  Students should be given every opportrunity to learn and the way I do this is meet with each student at the beginning of a new class and set up short term goals.  The goals need to be within reach and measurable by both the teacher and student.  I believe that mid term is a good time to evaluate the goals per student or sooner if needed.
I think it is important for instructors not to teach to there learning style preference.  It is imperative that all aspects of learning be included.  The three points are visual, auditory and kinetics.  If students are struggling it should be addressed and we need to find another way to get the point across to the student.

4 comments:

  1. I like your idea of mid term evaluations for the class, teacher, and students. Goals can be set initially with the syllabus and then revisited mid term. Student goals can be set by the students and again re-evaluated mid term.

    Mid term grades provide the students with an idea where they are grade wise but there isn't anything to offer the instructor to gauge how they are meeting the needs of the students in the class. Do you believe that we as educators should offer a mid term evaluation?

    Kattie aka Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie, the school that I work at now does mid-term and end of course surveys. My mid-term evaluations were not the best because the students were adjusting to a new teacher and very strict rules. I can't wait to see my end of course evaluation, since I have thrown out several students and can tell now the class appreciates my dedication to there learning. I think they were "testing" me to see if I would bend any of my classroom rules. I have a set of strict classroom rules and I run a tight ship in my classroom and when I say "NO" it means "NO" and they have learned that very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Assignment 3.3 Comments on Victorhugor.blogspot.com

    I found a comment and personal item on his page that was interesting about teachers using twitter. He obviously felt that it was a connection to the outside and kept things updated. I 100% agree with him on twitter and/or facebook. The school that I left recently frowned upon the use of facebook or twitter. They classified it at fraternizing with students and to be honest I got written up for it. I utilized the facebook for a pharmacology helpline. The students love it that if they got stuck they could post a question and I would answer it and everyone could see it. I also used it to keep in touch with students or to track down students if they fell off the face of the earth. So in one meeting,management is saying reach out to the students, make yourself available at all cost in order to keep our students. Then I get written up for fraternizing. I was able to bring students back after they dropped out because I could contact them through facebook, but to them again this was fraternizing. So I learned this meant no contact with students outside of the 4 walls that I taught in.
    I also agree with him on the fact that it can be used as a resource, a support system, a place for encouragement, a connection to current updated information. It could be used for students to vent (writing down there troubles in class), share knowledge and try to understand another point of view.
    I am at a new school since April and we actually have a facebook page and they encourage us to use it daily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Tonia, I enjoyed reading your blog and I think it's very creative how you design it. I also enjoyed reading your comments and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete